Laser Acne Treatment
Laser Acne Treatment
The treatment of inflammatory acne using intense pulsed light is constantly gaining popularity among patients seeking a drug-free alternative to treat this chronic, common skin disease that affects up to 80% of individuals at some time in their life. Our systems provide very satisfactory results in the treatment of mild and moderate inflammatory acne, by reducing the number of papules and pustules by 60-65%. This is achieved using three effective, safe and reliable clinical mechanisms: visible blue light absorption to destroy the bacteria, yellow light to coagulate the feeding blood vessels and infrared light to dry the lesions.
How IPL Treats Acne
Laser treatments can reduce acne. Most people see clearing, but it’s not 100%.
Results vary from person to person. Right now, there’s no way to know who will see clearer skin and how much the skin will clear when treated with a laser.
To get results, most people need a series of treatments. Multiple treatments deliver significantly better results than a single treatment.
It takes time to see results. Patients see the best results weeks after the last treatment.
Follow-up treatments may be necessary. Results from lasers and light therapies are generally long lasting. To maintain results, however, patients often need follow-up treatments once or twice a year.
Redness and swelling are common after treatment with many lasers and light treatments. These are usually mild and disappear within a few hours or by the next day.
Before Acne Treatment
- Discontinue Accutane 6 months prior to treatment.
- Discontinue use of Retinoic Acid products three days prior to treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure or the use of tanning beds and self tanners for at least four weeks
prior and/or between IPL treatments.
- Report all skin diseases, viruses, infections, cold sores, exzema or allergies.
- Do not exfoliate, use glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide or any other skin irritants one week
week prior to treatment.
- Avoid microdermabrasions or peels for one week prior to treatment.
- If the skin is red, irritated or sunburned, the IPL treatment must be rescheduled.
- Report all medication taken within the week of the treatment.
After Acne Treatment
YOUR COMPLIANCE POST-ACNE TREATMENT
- Avoid direct sunlight, tanning beds or self tanners for at least 2 weeks after a treatment. Apply Sun Protective Cream of SPF 30+ 15 minutes prior to sun exposure and 15 minutes afterwards. Keep reapplying as needed throughout the day. Consider using protective cotton gloves for driving, a hat to protect facial areas.
- If there are scabs or blisters, make-up should not be used for 3-4 days.
- For at least two weeks post acne treatment, do not use harsh topical (exfoliators, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, acne creams etc.).
- Avoid touching, rubbing, peeling or picking of the skin as this may cause hyperpigmentation or scarring.
- Gently apply pure aloe vera gel or antibiotic ointment to the treated area twice daily until healed and dry.
- For 1 week, avoid hot baths, showers, hot tubs and saunas. When showering and washing, gently pat dry and do not rub
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours following clinical treatment.
HOT AND HUMID WEATHER CONDITIONS CAN AGGRAVATE SKIN IN THE PERIOD IMMEDIATELY BEFORE AND AFTER TREATMENT.